Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Weaning Question???

Ok, so I am back...I know I made the comment in my first blog attempt that I was only really going to post about insightful or significant events. However, that was before my experience today.

First, let me say that the first contract is still going well. Orientation wrapped up today and I start on the floor tomorrow night. I'm also happy to report that I'm still alive and well in South Hammond although I find myself hanging out more in Munster due to strong suggestions from close friends and nurses at the hospital that I limit my attempts at exploring around Hammond. Alright, now to the reason/inspiration for this specific posting tonight...

Tonight I bring up the popular subject of public breast feeding.

*long winded story alert!*

So I know I haven't really brought up my landlord in this blog but she is a very kind but extremely chatty lady. She is also a single mom with a TWO year old (the emphasis will become important later). Anyways, while she does not live at my place, she is there quite often during the day trying to fix up the place and hanging out with her kid. Needless to say that when I get back from work, I will find her there and I can expect a twenty minute conversation before I can make it to my room. Well today despite my best efforts at going to Panera after work to use their internet and stalling so that I would arrive after she left, I still managed to end up in a long one sided conversation hearing about her pregnancy induced asthma and...(I won't lie, I spaced out after pregnancy induced asthma) With my hand on my bedroom door trying to make the subtle hints of ending the conversation, she just kept talking and without even skipping a syllable she put her kid on her lap and began breast feeding. She only paused once from talking to me to tell her kid to go for the left one this time instead of the right. I took that split second pause and escaped to my room!

*story over*

hmmm....lets just say I'm not going to post any related pictures with this post! haha, but seriously?!? what are your thoughts on that? I talked with Mandy and a few of my friends and I know their opinions. The overwhelming opinion is that its inappropriate and also that two is way to old for breast feeding! However, with that said, the opinion so far consists of non parents so I invite anyone to write their opinion and shed some more light on this matter. I do realize that in the big scheme of public issues and problems, this falls perhaps even below skate shoes and parents tying there children to park benches with those animal suites (have you seen that?!) but its the problem that I'm dealing with today so please share!

Well, thats all I got for tonight. Have a good one everybody! -Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment