Wow, it has been quite awhile since I have taken a few moments to write down what has been happening over here on the west coast. I'd like to thank Mandy for picking up the slack. I think she has done a great job. Basically you can get a temperature of our marriage with who is writing the blog for the week or that month. Whoever is writing is probably doing more around the home and not being lazy. So again, thank you Mandy for picking up the slack ;)
Anyways, I was trying to review where Mandy left off and continue to bring those who have been following us on here up to speed. I think Mandy mentioned that I had started a new contract at a hospital in Torrance. For those not familiar with the city, it is a town on the west side of Los Angeles about 5 miles from the ocean. The contract has been going great. I've been working nights in a step-down ICU unit which is very similar to my last contract. The HUGE plus is that there is only a 45 minute commute. This is amazing when compared to the hour and half I was doing before. The hospital has already asked to extend my contract another 3 months with still two months remaining on my first contract. This will keep my contracted until November and help me avoid the hassle of finding a new position and working out a new contract anytime soon. Very good news.
Another exciting time was our whirlwind trip back to Indiana for the wedding of our friends Hilary and Julien. This was our first trip back to Indiana since heading west and it was definitely fast paced! We flew into Chicago Thursday afternoon and then drove to my parents for a great visit and then saw Mandy's parents on Friday. Saturday was wedding day and we drove up to Kendalville for the wedding and reception and had a great time! On Sunday we saw both our parents one last time and then began the drive back to Chicago. We had a great chance to visit with our friends Jon, Sarah, and Michelle while in Chicago and then flew back west on Monday. It was a great visit! (pictures below)
![]() |
| Picture of the bridesmaid I was flirting with all night |
| Cards as a party favor was a fantastic idea |
![]() |
| Couples first dance |
| Picture with parents and McAfee grandparents after brunch! |
| Picture with the in-laws! |
As far as sightseeing, Mandy and I have slowly and systematically been exploring California. The other day we were able to explore the South Bay area which is actually where I work. The three main beaches in that area are Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, and Hermosa Beach and we enjoyed all three. Here are a few pictures from that experience!
| Pacific view from the Redondo Beach Pier/Harbor area |
| Mandy looking at the boats |
| Can you spot the parrots? These two were spotted/heard during our lunch at Hermosa Beach. |
| Mandy voguing at Hermosa Beach. She actually did not know I was taking pictures. |
| Cookie dough ice cream cookie sandwich? Hard to explain but it was delicious. Manhattan beach area in the background |
Besides exploring new California areas, we also were able to fit in a few more fun things closer to home. Our friends Aubrey and Josiah were amazing and took us out to a Los Angeles (Anaheim) Angels baseball game. The ball park is only a few minutes from our apartment so this worked out great. I also have to give props to Aubrey and Josiah for the great seats (1st row behind the dugout)! I had been completely content with my upper balcony seats, but I am now officially spoiled.
| The new Angels player who is advertised on every other billboard in the OC...Albert Pujols |
| Foul ball that was tossed in the crowd. Thanks again Aubrey and Josiah! |
| Ichiro! This guy has a huge cultural following. I'm estimating about every Asian American in attendance came down by us to try and get him to turn around for a picture. He never did |
| Perfect night for a baseball game |
We also had the fun opportunity to go see a traveling tented circus. Set up in the mall parking lot across the street, Mandy and I went to go see Circus Vargas which apparently is mentioned and seen in the opening of the movie Water for Elephants. If you have seen the movie, Circus Vargas is the circus the old man was trying to get into at the beginning of the movie. The tent pictured below can be seen in the movie as well! We definitely enjoyed it, even if there were no animals and the main guy sang through the entire show.
| The Big Top! |
| The flying trapeze |
Random Picture of the Week
| Driving south on the 405 the Goodyear Blimp is seen heading towards Staple Center for game four of the Stanley Cup. |
Well I think that catches us up to the beginning of this week. Its going to be a busy work week for us. I hope everyone else has a great one! Talk to you guys soon and thanks for reading! -Mike


No comments:
Post a Comment